Monday, April 26, 2010

A quick note on languages and prepositions.

I’ve heard more of other languages on the streets than English, if you want to know the truth. There are loads of French, Eastern Europeans, South Asians, East Asians, Middle Easterners, and Spaniards, Spaniards, Spaniards. I even talked to a few Latinos. I know that’s partly because we’ve been in the vacationy bits of London, but it’s also partly because London became the cultural and economic hub of this vast global empire and still maintains ties to its former colonies. Silver lining of imperialism? We’re enjoying it anyway.

The English use prepositions differently than Americans. Signs inform us that there’s no smoking permitted in the premises. And that certain train stations will be particularly busy at weekends. Reminds me of Marjorie Dawes’s question to the Fat Fighters: “What sort of things do we get cravings of?”

(“Oh man I love the cake.”)

-W.

2 comments:

  1. Guys. This sounds so rad. I'm so glad I'm related to you guys. Have so much fun, be safe, beware that buskers will want you to pay them if they sing for you, and be sure to eat some hob nobs and some flapjacks for me...bomb. Oh, and say hi to the queen for me. Love you all madly...keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome Wayne, Nate, and Annie!

    Love, Joe

    ReplyDelete