Monday, April 26, 2010

The Guns of Brixton.

Today was a big day – we knocked multiple items off our London list:

1.       Brixton.  Supposedly London’s “little Jamaica”, although we saw more Middle Easterners and Africans than Jamaicans.  It was fun to wander the streets of Brixton Market.  There was raw meat everywhere, produce markets, little shops, fishmongers, etc.  We ended up at a little Jerk restaurant run by two legitimate Jamaican dudes.  They’ve been in England for 11 years now.  Talking to them was one of the highlights of the day.
Take 2wo Jamaican Jerk Chicken

2.       The British Museum.  We basically perused the entire first floor and didn’t even touch the second.  The Rosetta Stone, marble sculptures from the Parthenon, and Ancient American stellas were some of our favorite items.

3.       Whippies.  These are just vanilla soft-serve ice cream cones with a mini flake stuck in ‘em.  We saw the Whippy truck outside the museum and we just knew.  It was time.


"Are you thsure you want juthst a cone?"
"Yeah."

4.       The British Library.  Here they have on display some incredible things, including the original manuscripts of the Magna Carta, Beowulf, Handel’s Messiah, and other equally important documents.  We saw the actual handwriting of Shakespeare, Mozart, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen.  One of my favorite things was an illuminated Qur’an.  It was absolutely beautiful.  (Jacqui – I left you a note inside a book called “London Inn Signs” in the Humanities reading room.  I will post the author and call number of the book next time I have my notebook with me.)

5.       Indian Food.  We went to an Indian Tapas place.  It was really tasty, especially after such a big day.  They gave us each a little stick of incense in place of a dinner mint as we left.

-A

Oh my HECK it feels good to just wash my hands after being in so many tube stations.  Railings, railings, railings.  Kind of nasty.  In fact I washed them twice. 

Before any further ado: I forgot to mention the captain on our Atlanta-London flight was named Sparky Lurf.  Just thought I’d get that out there.

Brixton, folks, is cool—it was nice to just get away from tourists from a while.  Except the German potheads who came into a rasta store run by this distinguished, humble old West Indian guy.  We felt like we were in Real London, though.  I talked with a guy at the meat market (where they sell cow’s feet and ox tails) who had just arrived from Pakistan three months ago and was LOVING it here.  Oh, and there are all these fish markets, and at one of them we saw this huge fish with its head severed.  I mean the head was probably a good nine or ten inches across, and we watched this lady walk up and buy it.  Just the head.


We saw this sign in Brixton and it was just too good.

The British Museum: I don’t even need to add anything.  Just don’t die without going there.  The Brits just took everything shamelessly from everyone, but it makes for a spectacular museum.


There's Anne hanging out at the Parthenon



Nate summoning Nacho's eagle powers in front of Rameses.

The British Library.  Taking photos was prohibited, so I want you all to know I risked my life to bring you all this rare glimpse of what most scholars agree is Shakespeare’s own handwriting.


And guess who’s the proud new owner of a British Library card?


-W.




--K.  Tomorrow we’re going to a new country.  The city we're going to is where mom’s friend Debbie lives, who’s going to drive us all over the place.  It's the capital of the state of Baden-Württemberg.  I actually don't know that much about it, so we'll be learning together.  I think there's a US Air Force base or something around there.  There are a lot of castles around.  Sorry guys.  You can ask mom for a hint.-- 

3 comments:

  1. Your baby is fine.

    Love, Ben

    P.S. I love de Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For F.H.E. we read your blog together. Highlight of the day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, I'm so excited to see your note. It's so fun to hear about your adventures. I miss you. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete